Tuesday, September 3, 2013

7 years! And other official business...



So, I don't know if anyone noticed, but I didn't do a wedding anniversary post this year. I usually do something cutesy, but our five year anniversary was about a month ago and I didn't get a post up.

I am ashamed.

In my defense, the Smith household has been a tad chaotic lately. Luckily, we have ANOTHER anniversary coming up this month, so I feel as if I have a second chance  ;)

SEVEN (yikes!!) years ago, at the end of September, Karl and I became an official couple. That number freaks me out just a tad; seven years seems like a VERY long time!!


For anyone who might not know, we met just before freshman orientation at BYU in 2006, and we started dating (after a lot of complications) about a month after. I fell in love with him pretty quickly, I must say. On September 23rd, we had our very first kiss, in the Morris center, while watching Reign of Fire, and we considered it officially official ;) It was about 3 months after we became a couple that I knew for a fact that he was the guy I was going to marry.

So, in honor of this anniversary, and as an apology to the wedding anniversary I missed, I thought I would share all the things that made me fall head over heels for Karl Smith. If you don't like sappy, you may want to pass on this, however, there is a surprise towards the end, so maybe just skip ahead ;)


All right, the reasons I fell in love with my dearest hubby (in no particular order):

  • I'll admit it, he was just a cute kid! I really loved his eyes, they have definitely always been my favorite physical feature of his. His eyes are really just the perfect shade of blue; not too light, not too dark, just perfectly bright. And they have an all around a nice shape, in my humble opinion. Also, I have always loved his smile. I fell in love with that smile back when he still had braces even! He has such a happy smile, it just made me so happy every time I saw it, and it still does!!
  • He is very witty, charming, and funny. One of the first reasons I liked him and considered dating him was that he was just so funny; he always made me laugh. He always has something witty to say in conversations, and it's always organic and perfectly timed... I'm actually superly jealous of his ability to be so conversationally relevant and entertaining. I am a complete disaster when it comes to making small talk. I'm pretty sure this is why he had so many girl friends back in the day, he's just so dang charming and funny!
  • He is smart and kind of a nerd. One of his wooing tactics in the beginning of our relationship was to use physics pick-up lines, and he once even attempted to win me over by telling me he could calculate how fast my string-cheese (a staple of my freshman diet) fell from its shelf in the vending machine. And I've got to say, it worked ;) He also liked Star Wars (more than Star Trek, which was a plus in my book) and knew who I was talking about when I mentioned Henry David Thoreau. I've always had a special place in my heart for nerds, and a nerd who is smart and somehow still socially at ease is like a major catch, haha!
  • He cares a lot about the people around him and is very sensitive to others' feelings and needs. This is something that is MAJORLY important to me. I'm also a pretty sensitive person, so I don't think I could stand to be with someone who didn't care about other people.
  •  He's and introvert and he's quiet. I like that he doesn't like large crowds, or going places to hang out with a million friends all the time... because I don't like those things either! I don't think it would have worked so well if he were one of those people who loves to be around people all the time. Also, he doesn't yell, ever. I should actually say, he physically can't yell, but either way, he is a very mild person who doesn't lose his temper easily. I like that because I am an emotional hurricane... and sometimes one of us needs to be calm and quiet, haha.
  • From pretty early on in our relationship I knew, by the way he acted, talked about his little sister, and his reaction to other kids we met, that he was going to be a terrific dad. Honestly, what I needed from the father of my children, was a man who could be fun, playful, and energetic, (and yet still responsible) because I am lacking in those areas. Karl has definitely lived up to my early visions of him as a father. He is honestly just a great daddy! Sometimes I wish I could be as cool a parent as he is, but I am really just thankful I have him to balance and complete our parenting partnership.

I could definitely go on and on about why I love him, but I don't want to bore you, and my brain isn't helping me out so much tonight, but I think you get the picture ;) I love my Karl so very much! Somehow I love him even more than when I first fell for him, and it's just getting better as we go along. I am so glad that he's stuck by me through my craziness and all the tough times we've run into. I feel as if we can do anything as long as we are together!

Happy Anniversary, Karl Andy Smithers!





And now, to get to the business part of this post...


Okay, so I know I said those were in no particular order, but I lied. That very last one I put there to be kind of a transition into my next topic... Is it working??




Fine, well, I guess I will just come out and say it:

After 7 years together and 5 years of marriage, I cannot think of a better announcement to make than that we will be welcoming our second child in March!


We found out on the 4th of July that our little family will be getting a bit bigger (happy Independence Day to us!). Our little clover is due to join us on St. Patrick's Day (3/17/14) and we are both overjoyed about it! Seriously, I've always prided myself on being a festive person, but do we know how to celebrate holidays at our house, or what??

Karl has actually been crazy excited about this from the very beginning (maybe even more than me), which I think is pretty dang cute. Although, after going through weeks of a teething, sick toddler AND an exhausted, morning sick wife, I think the initial excitement has waned just a smidge, haha.

I love how much he loves being a daddy and how much he loves silly toddler games and baby giggles. I'm so lucky to have such a great man in my life!

Our Clover Baby
(PS, if you want to know more about how the whole pregnancy thing has been going so far, please check out my other blog, HERE)

3 comments:

Leave me a note!! Like, seriously, I love to hear what you think!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers