Friday, July 4, 2014

A year ago today


Exactly one year ago tonight, Karl and I sat together on our front lawn, watching the stadium of fire fireworks, and trying to comprehend how our lives were about to change. 

That morning, before going up to midway for family 4th of July festivities, we'd run out to wal-mart and bought a test to confirm what we already suspected... Baby #2 was on the way! 

At that moment Declan was nothing more than two lines on a pregnancy test and a whole heap of hopes and day-dreams. 

We had no idea if our baby would be a boy or girl, we had no idea who he was (or what he'd be named...). I had no idea how I'd handle this pregnancy, or whether it would be easier or tougher than the last. We didn't know how we'd handle two kids or how Evie would do with the transition.

And now here we are one year later, the four of us standing on the side walk in front of our house, watching fireworks going off in the park. 

Rolly polly little Declan is a tiny person with his very own opinions and a distinct personality. It really seems like he's just always been in our family. Evie and Declan love each other so much. Evie takes care of him and loves him (when she's not stealing his toys), and he just thinks she is the coolest person in the world!

I'm just so amazed at the difference one year can make (I know, I say it all the time), and the wonderfully crazy things that happen in life. I don't even know how to articulate what I'm feeling right now... 

I guess I'm just realizing that I spend a lot of time worrying and stressing about a future that I can't possibly predict, and I forget to spend time living and keeping memories of the moments that I'm in. 

This time next year, who knows where we'll be, but I know that I want to be able to look back and be happy with the memories I'm making today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note!! Like, seriously, I love to hear what you think!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers